Acting Archivist of the United States Debra Steidel Wall appointed 20 individuals to the National Archives and Records Administration’s 2022–2024 Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Advisory Committee.
We welcome back David Cuillier of the University of Arizona; Allyson Deitrick of the U.S. Department of Commerce; Tom Susman of the American Bar Association; and Patricia Weth of the Environmental Protection Agency. We also welcome back Jason R. Baron of the University of Maryland and Ginger Quintero-McCall of Demand Progress, both of whom served on the FOIA Advisory Committee prior to the 2020-2022 term. As in prior terms, Alina Semo, director of the Office of Government Information Services, and Bobby Talebian, director of the Office of Information Policy, serve on the Committee by virtue of their positions in accordance with the Committee charter. Ms. Semo will chair the 2022-2024 term of the Committee, which is scheduled to have its first meeting on September 8, 2022.
The Committee, established in 2014, studies the federal FOIA landscape and advises on improvements to FOIA administration governmentwide. The FOIA Advisory Committee consists of no more than 20 individuals who are all FOIA experts from both inside and outside of government. Members of the FOIA Advisory Committee foster dialogue between the administration and the requester community and develop recommendations for improving FOIA administration and proactive disclosures. The 2020-2022 term of the Committee made 21 recommendations for improving the FOIA process.
Ms. Wall has appointed the following individuals to the 2022-2024 term:
- Paul Chalmers – Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation
- Carmen A. Collins – U.S. Department of Defense
- Allyson Deitrick – U.S. Department of Commerce
- Gorka Garcia-Malene – U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Michael Heise – U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- Stefanie Jewett – U.S. Department of the Interior Office of Inspector General
- Catrina Pavlik-Keenan – U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Alina M. Semo – Chair, U.S. National Archives and Records Administration, Office of Government Information Services
- Bobak Talebian – U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Information Policy
- Patricia Weth – U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Jason R. Baron – University of Maryland
- David Cuillier – University of Arizona
- Alexander Howard – Digital Democracy Project
- Gbemende Johnson – University of Georgia
- Adam Marshall – Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press
- Luke Nichter – Chapman University
- Ginger Quintero-McCall – Demand Progress
- Thomas Susman – American Bar Association
- Eira Tansey – University of Cincinnati
- Benjamin Tingo – AINS